RSS

Cooking Venture

So it was one of those days when I decided to cook and here is what I made
ROAST CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLES
Ingredients
1 whole chicken
1 large onion
1 lemon
2-3 carrots
4-5 potatoes
3 sprigs spring onion
1 green pepper
1 cup chicken broth
Masala ingredients
1tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric
2 tsp Robertson’s chicken spice (optional)
Salt and pepper as required
Method
Mix together the masala ingredients and squeeze the lemon juice to make it a paste. Don’t throw away the lemon peels as you will need them later
Wash the chicken and pat it dry. (Apparently drying it out thoroughly makes the skin more crispy- seemed to work for me) Now make cuts on it rub in the masala. Keep for 15 minutes (My mum says that the longer you keep the masala on the chicken, the better it will taste. I didn’t try it because I didn’t have time but maybe you would like to keep it overnight)
Wash, peel and quarter the potatoes. Wash, peel and cut the carrots into 2-inch pieces. Now put the chicken in a baking dish and scatter the potatoes and carrots in it. Then pour the chicken broth all over the chicken.
Bake the chicken on 200 degree Celcius for 35 minutes.
Take the chicken out, baste it in the juices, add the spring onion and green pepper and bake for another 45 minutes or until done (to test, see if the juices run clear and the breast meat is completely white)
NOTE: To make sure that the chicken stays juicy, baste it very often in the juices. I did it every 15 minutes. You can do it more often. I did find my chicken a tad bit undercooked so I might just steam the chicken a wee bit before putting it in for baking

0 comments: